The Andison Family Foundation
Helping Registered Canadian Charitable Organizations
Throughout their lifetimes, George and Elaine (nee Powell) Andison understood and practised philanthropy. Their generosity supported a wide variety of worthy causes which not only helped the organizations grow and prosper, but also helped to build the communities in which they served. From an early age, their five children followed in their footsteps and came to understand the importance and appreciate the value of giving to charity.
To ensure this, their contributions were formalized in the establishment of a registered charitable foundation to preserve their legacy of giving in perpetuity.
Originally from Winnipeg, Manitoba, George and Elaine moved to Port Arthur Ontario after they were married in 1936. George’s challenge was to expand Powell Equipment’s Caterpillar Tractor franchise into NW Ontario. Upon the death of the company’s founder, Edgar Powell in 1952, they returned to Winnipeg where George assumed the leadership of the company.
They may have moved out of the Lakehead, but never gave up their ties. They retained their cottage at Two Island Lake, which remains in the family to this day; a favorite place for the fourth generation.